Sunday, December 12, 2010

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree

... how lovely are your branches! I love that Christmas carol. I love all Christmas music. I love everything about Christmas! I have been known to drive Caton absolutely crazy for a few weeks straight every year as I randomly burst out in song. "O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree, how lovely are your branches!" I know the entire song, but for some reason I only sing those 11 words every single time I walk by the tree. I can see how it can be super annoying, but I can't seem to stop. I think Caton secretly likes it. hehe Anyway, back to the point of the post: this beauty...


I just love her... in all her Scotch Pine, white light, multi-colored-glass-ornament glory. She's an eight foot Scotch Pine that we picked out ourselves the weekend after Thanksgiving. We are getting ready to celebrate our third Christmas together as Mr & Mrs and this has become a bit of a family tradition, but I didn't realize it at first. I was dead set on buying a fake tree this year. I talked about it the entire month of November. That is, until I saw the prices. Wow! After that I suggested we buy a real tree this year and then I could find a great deal on a fake tree after Christmas when they go on clearance. Now that we have had the real tree for a few weeks I am ashamed of myself for ever wanting to stray away from one of my favorite parts of the Holidays. Maybe it's the fun we have getting all bundled up to pick out our tree. Maybe it's the fact that I know Caton is freezing cold, losing patience and could care less which tree I finally pick, but he still puts on a smile, climbs through the piles of trees, gets needle pokes and sappy hands and holds up yet another one for the straight/full/perfect-for-us test when I say, "well... maybe that one is the best?!". Maybe it's the wonderfully amazing scent that hits your nose every time you walk in the room. Maybe it's the pine needles that scatter across the floor and gifts, even though they are a pain to clean up. Maybe it's the fact that there hasn't been a single Christmas in the last 25 years of life that my gifts, and the gifts for those I love most in the world, haven't had a real pine tree towering over them. Maybe it's a combination of everything. The one thing I do know for sure is that this is a tradition we aren't going to touch. We will forever be a real Christmas tree kind of family and that makes me love Christmas even more.

I have lots on the blogging agenda this week (you know I love my weekly to-do list!): before and after pictures of the house, a few DIY projects and pictures of our recent weekend fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment