Sunday, February 27, 2011

I Love A Good Bargain

I mean who doesn’t love a good bargain, right?! And I love a good bargain even better when I’m not expecting it. I don’t know how many of you out there are “thrifters” – aka, people that love to bargain shop at second-hand stores – but I have been on a roll this month! My all–time favorite thrift store is located in Downtown Wichita, KS. I learned about it over 7 years ago when Caton and I started dating and he and my mother-in-law took me there. I tried to look it up online, but I honestly have no idea how to search for it. I have never heard or paid attention to the actual name of the store because I have only known it to be “The Boutique”. It earned its name because, although the rest of store could probably be compared to every other thrift store/DAV store/second-hand store by a passerby on the street, the front of the store has its own special counter and display section called, none other than, The Boutique.
My second favorite (although just recently a favorite) thrift store is new to the Kansas City area. Savers is located in a former Big Lots in Overland Park, so when I first set foot in the store I thought it was going to be just like Big Lots, but I was wrong. It is such a fun, expansive, and upscale thrift store that offers massive amounts of clothing and shoes for men, women and children, a huge housewares and bed/bath section, books, furniture and more. If you haven’t been, I would suggest you check it out!
As I mentioned in this post, I am waiting for some sunnier/warmer/less-windy/less-freezing weather to get my spray paint on in the backyard, and here is a little preview of what I plan to spray spruce up.

Look at all of this stuff! I found these stools (more to come on those later), the amazing white wooden picture frame, the candle sticks, the ceramic cross and the ceramic pot all at Savers over the last few weeks. What a deal!
I found these few great deals at The Boutique when we were visiting the in-laws a few weekends ago and I am still so excited just thinking about it!
Banana Republic sweater.
Forever 21 shirt (that still had the tags on).

And the last, but not least, items I found at The Boutique were this awesome glass vase and this amazing handmade Christmas sign. How cool is that?! Kay (my mother-in-law) and I were doing our last few minutes of searching over by the tablecloths and super discounted holiday décor when I happened to spot the corner of a pained wooden sign. I bent down to the bottom shelf, dug under some Christmas ornaments and garland and pulled out not one, but TWO of these signs with the adorable hooks and glass nobs. The first one I pulled out had music notes all over it and I just knew my MIL had to take it home (she’s an amazing singer and piano player), so I was even more excited when I pulled this second sign out and realized that I would get to take one home as well AND that the colors would go perfectly with our furniture, décor and decorations. They will be so fun to get out around the holidays and have for years to come.
Ok, back to my stools. We love our dining room table. It’s a rectangular bar-height table that has four black leather chairs and is so us, but it creates quite a dilemma when it comes seating family and friends. We have had many instances where Caton and I end up standing around the table to eat dinner or play games with our families because it only allows for four people to sit down. I have been on the lookout for a few years now for simple and inexpensive barstools that will provide us with extra seating that can easily be stored in a closet or the basement when we don’t have company over. I’ve had my eye on these for quite some time, but I just haven’t been able to bring myself to pay that much for a couple of stools that will be stored away when we don’t need or use them. So when I found these bad boys at Savers one evening I was beyond excited and quickly threw them in my cart (well, I was able to fit one in the cart and awkwardly carried the other under one arm while pushing the cart with the other) and ran (well, walked as quickly as possible while pushing a cart with one arm and carrying this huge and fairly heavy stool under the other arm) to the checkout line before anyone could try to steal the deal away from me.

And check out that price tag. What a deal!
Now, even though I LOVE the color blue for anything and everything, I wasn’t a big fan of this color combination. I haven’t decided exactly what I will do to fix them up, but I love this! This color would be so perfect for our home and all of our dark espresso furniture. I can’t wait to explore some options for making this transformation before our next family gathering.
So there you have it; my bargains for the month of February! I’ll leave you with a quick breakdown of my total spending for the month. Thrifting sure makes it easy (and fun) to stay within my spending cash budget for the month. Let me know if you want to join me next time!
Bar stools - $6.99 each
White frame - $2.99
Candle sticks - $1.99 for the small and $2.99 for the large
Ceramic cross - $0.99
Ceramic pot - $2.99
Banana Republic sweater - $5.95
Forever 21 shirt (with the tags on) - $3.99
Glass vase - $0.49
Wooden Christmas sign - $4.95
Grand total for February - $34.32
I love a good bargain!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my!!! I definitely want to go to Savers with you! I've heard about it, but not as extensively as you have put it! I thought it was more like a Big Lots too! (Big Lots is a tough store for me to go in... but I have found a few cool things in there from time to time!) And I totally want to do some garage sale-ing with you too! We may end up fighting over some stuff since we have such similar tastes! Haha

    ReplyDelete