Friday, March 18, 2011

Beer, Wine & Magnets

I’m sure you’re wondering what in the world beer, wine and magnets could possibly all have in common for this post, but I think you’ll love it once I explain a little further.
I receive a few daily emails from blog/craft/DIY sites – some days I find really cute stuff and some days I don’t find a darn thing that interests me – and one day, a few weeks ago, I found this nifty little project under the “recycled crafts” section.  Love love love! Love wine corks (I have collected them every since I started drinking wine back in college – I use them as centerpieces in bowls, vases, hurricanes, etc. They are just so appealing to the eye and so fun to sift through to see all of the different brands we have enjoyed over the years); Love wine in general (I’m on one heck-of-a Cab Sav kick right now); Love magnets (I mean, who doesn’t?! And it seems like we are always low magnets around our household). So, this fun craft project was so appealing and I couldn’t wait to get started.
Over the next few days I had put the project on the back burner (until I made it to Michael’s for magnets) and started thinking about other items we could use to hold up our photos, grocery lists, tickets from recent concerts, games, etc, reminder notes and anything else we need to hang on the fridge. When I least expected it, I found my next magnet decoration. Caton and I had joined our good friends, Megan & Jason, on the Boulevard Brewery Tour in KC and enjoyed the wonderful free beverage samples at the end (isn’t that the point of the tour?!) before heading out to watch the KU/MU basketball game. Since we were in a bit of a hurry, we didn’t use all of our “free beer tokens” (read: bottle caps that hadn’t been pressed yet) and ended up bringing a handful of them home. I knew the second I left the brewery that these little beauties were going to be part of my current craft project, and I would be a liar if I said I wasn’t excited that they fit the theme I had going on.
The following Monday I was sure to drop by Michaels Craft Store on my way home from work and picked up the perfect, and inexpensive, little magnets for my project.

I rounded up my corks, bottle caps, magnets and super glue (I’m sure you could use hot glue just as easily) and completed the project in less than 5 minutes.

So, what do you think? Aren’t they cute? What other items can be found around the house, receive a magnet and instantly become cute picture-paper-ticket-grocery-list-holders for all to admire? I haven't thought of anything else just yet, but I'm on the lookout. And for those of you wondering, the adorable ‘W’ magnets in the background can be found at Michael’s in the $1.00 section for a four-pack and each one has the same initial, but it is printed in a different font - so cute!

1 comment:

  1. What a cute idea!! And definitely something we have lying around the Olivier household ;) Gotta love free crafts!

    ReplyDelete